Water damage is common across the US and can happen at any time of the year. Water damage can occur even in cold weather. The low temperatures and snow can cause damage that needs water damage restoration.
Proven Restoration LLC is a full-service water damage restoration and reconstruction contractor operating in Humble, TX, and its neighboring areas. The company has a team of IICRC-certified technicians who form a mitigation strategy and carry out the water damage restoration process. In this article, Proven restoration LLC shares some steps that homeowners can take to protect their homes from water damage in the winter.
How can water damage happen in the winter?
- Frozen pipes: When the temperature is low, the water in pipes freezes and can expand, which causes the pipes to burst.
- Water heater leaks: In winter, water heaters have to work more to heat water. If the heater is an older one especially, the extra work can lead to a leak, which may lead to flooding and water damage.
- Melting snow: Melting snow that accumulates on the roof can lead to roof damage, water damage to the interiors, and mold growth.
- Overflowing gutters: If ice blocks a gutter, water can spill over the sides and seep through the foundation of the home or flood the basement.
- Inadequately insulated pipes: Pipes on the exteriors must be insulated from low temperatures to prevent bursts.
Tips that will prepare homes for winter to prevent water damage
- Homeowners must know where the water shutoff valve is and ensure it can be accessed easily in an emergency.
- The HVAC system must be inspected by a professional. Servicing the system will help prevent breakdowns that can cause water damage during winter.
- Insulation of the water tank: Before winter, the water heater must be checked to see if it is in good condition. The water tanks must be flushed twice a year, once preferably before winter. Insulating the water heater will help save energy and reduce the overwork of the heater, thus reducing the chances of it getting damaged.
- Keep out the cold: Drafty windows, doors, and walls with defects must be repaired. Leaks in basements and crawl spaces must be sealed. Unheated spaces must be kept protected from cold. Keep garage doors closed. Cover vents in the foundation to stop cold air from circulating under the house.
- Chimneys and fireplaces must be inspected and maintained in good condition in case they may be used for heating in emergencies.
- Weatherproof the house: Add caulking and weather-stripping to doors and windows, and insulate attic pipes and water lines on the home’s exterior.
- Insulating water pipes: Insulate water pipes outside, in the basement, and crawl space.
- Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms must be tested, and old alarms must be replaced.
- Trim overhanging tree branches near the house. In winter, they can be heavy with snow or exposed to wind, causing them to fall off, leading to roof damage.
- Gutters must be cleaned so that clogging does not lead to roof leaks.
Homeowners must listen to weather bulletins and advisories from authorities and reliable sources. Guidelines from local authorities must be followed. Keeping a stock of bottled water, nonperishable food, and batteries will be useful in emergencies.
Texas may not have winters as severe as other areas in the country. But Proven Restoration LLC advises homeowners in Humble, TX, to prepare their homes for winter. In case of water damage due to severe weather or other causes, Proven Restoration LLC can be contacted at (713) 906-5133. This company knows water damage restoration needs to begin fast to mitigate the damage as soon as possible. As an insured, bonded, and licensed company in Texas, Proven Restoration LLC can be relied on for water damage restoration in Humble, TX.